Submit your resume
Summit Search Group has partnered with Canada Lands Company (CLC) to recruit their next Vice President, Real Estate (West). Responsible for real estate activities in Alberta, British Colombia, and Saskatchewan, the successful candidate will generate optimum financial and non-financial value from real property holdings. Properties are developed to increase the financial returns to the Company while pursuing the Company’s strategic priorities of financial resilience, environmental sustainability and social impact, and respecting the interests of stakeholders, including municipal governments, communities, and the policy objectives of the federal government.
The Vice President, Real Estate (West) is responsible for oversight of all aspects of the real estate operations within the West region including personnel management, leadership, project management, corporate accountabilities and partnership management.
- Manages the real estate operations of Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan (noting at this time there are no active projects in Saskatchewan) through its personnel. Manages and motivates staff; coordinates their effort; and provides leadership and direction on their projects.
- Monitors the region’s organizational needs and makes recommendations on staffing issues necessary to maintain the appropriate skills and motivation to achieve goals and objectives.
- Leads in the planning, approval, implementation and monitoring the Region’s strategies and annual business plans for the repurposing of properties transferred to the Company in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
- Creates optimal financial performance and value creation through revenues and net income before taxes.
- Develops and implements the business vision of projects and oversees their development on time and on budget, including the assignment and allocation of resources within the region.
- Manages and/or actively participates in specific projects where issues of a complex or strategic nature require the experience or expertise of the Vice President. This may include strategizing and negotiating major arrangements with respect to municipal or other regulatory approvals (e.g. planning, zoning, environmental, heritage), real estate transactions (e.g. agreements of purchase and sale, leases, mortgages, financing) and service contracts (e.g. with contractors).
- Focuses the work program to the attainment of Company goals and ensures compliance with Company policies and guidelines.
- Prepares and presents submissions to the Board of Directors for projects and initiatives within Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
- Works with the VP and Director of Acquisitions in the assessment of potential acquisitions from the federal government, preparation of the Acquisition Business Plans and completion of transfer documentation in cooperation with Legal. Identifies creative solutions for dealing with transfer issues to best meet the objectives of the federal government and the Company.
- Directs the preparation and updates of annual and five-year budgets which include sales, operating revenue, and operating and capital expenses by project, and general and administrative expenses for Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and Real Estate Management Committee (REMCO), participates in strategic planning and implementation of broader Company objectives and direction.
- Manages formal and informal partnerships entered into by the Company; includes the establishment of partnership agreements, management of partnership agreements as a member of partnership management committees, and operationalization of parentship agreements in the respective projects.
- Includes currently the Joint Venture partnership between the Company and Embassy Bosa in Calgary; the Joint Venture partnership with the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Partnership in Vancouver; and the informal collaboration between the Company and the Treaty One Nation in Winnipeg.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in combination with other designation(s), in the area of business administration, real estate, engineering, urban planning, architecture, project management or a related field.
- Extensive experience of a minimum of ten to fifteen years in real estate (including acquisition, approvals, urban design, land development, commercial and residential leasing, marketing and sales).
- Thorough understanding of municipal and provincial legislation applicable to real estate projects, including planning acts, environmental guidelines, zoning and municipal planning approval processes.
- Wide exposure to real estate and management practices and procedures, including development approvals, development and building permits, site servicing, community consultation, planning, engineering, and overall construction processes.
- Knowledge of project management and financial analysis and their application to real estate development.
- Experience with profit and loss (P&L) accountability and delivery of land development and sales targets.
- Big picture thinker with understanding of matrix organization and balance of local operational and corporate-strategic drivers.
- Bilingualism (English/French) considered an asset.
Summit Search Group has a strong commitment to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion. We strive for continuous development, modeling, inclusive behaviors and proactively managing bias throughout our process.