Submit your resume
About Our Client: As Canada’s sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 741,000 residents and more than 54,000 businesses, including more than 60 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is “Leading Today for Tomorrow” by focusing on delivering services, implementing its Strategic Plan, delivering value for money and maintaining infrastructure.
Make your move to the City of Mississauga and come be part of something BIG!
Application Deadline: Monday, February 13th, 2023.
MiWay is Ontario’s third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the MiWay’s vision is to be a transit system that makes Mississauga proud. MiWay’s recruitment eﬀorts are directly aligned to its mission of providing “a safe, reliable, and eﬃcient, transit system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy.”
The Supervisor, Transit Vehicle Maintenance will work with management to eﬀectively and safely ensure customer satisfaction, loyalty and safety, ensure service goals are achieved by the team and provide a clean, safe, eﬃcient and respectful workplace for all employees. The incumbent is subject to be moved to another Bus Maintenance facility in accordance with operational needs.
Schedule: 5 days a week 11pm – 7:30am. Afternoon or morning shifts as required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the maintenance staﬀ to ensure the eﬀective and eﬃcient management and coordination of vehicle inspection, repair, cleaning and overall maintenance operation.
- Establishes and monitors attainment of objectives/performance standards and trouble shoots deﬁciencies. Allocates personnel and equipment according to priorities; schedules maintenance of Transit vehicles and prepares work orders utilizing a computer assisted system.
- Implements and maintains policies, procedures and standards to ensure a safe, productive and timely operation with regard to continuous improvement initiatives.
- Motivates and assesses performance, controls absenteeism, manages disciplinary measures, handles employee issues and assist with grievances at Step 1
- Ensures that employees are instructed in methods, procedures, and performance standards for all maintenance activities and operations.
- Supports and may be called on to supervise the daily operation of the bus wash racks, fuelling stations and fare box clearing in the absence of the Washbay Supervisor.
- Manages statistical data such as book-oﬀs, sick absences, overtime, lieu/ﬂoater day requests, and accident/incident forms.
- Participates in monthly maintenance meetings and ensures that maintenance records are kept up to date via input to maintenance clerk
- Ensures that all work adheres to the Ministry of Transportation legislated requirements.
- Ensures that assigned staﬀ complies with all safety requirements, Corporate policy and procedures, and Standard Practice Instructions.
- Supports in orientation and training of new Transit Maintenance staﬀ in Transit policies and procedures Identiﬁes and assists with bus and bus part warranty claims and the tagging of defective components, thereby ensuring manufacturer/supplier warranty commitments are upheld.
- Monitors the work environment to ensure tools, parts and materials are properly treated, stored or disposed of and that cores and repairable parts are returned to Stores.
- Maintains positive employee relations by fair and equitable treatment of all staﬀ in all areas including assignment of work and managing performance expectations.
- Conducts technical investigations and procedural quality audits, as required. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Promotes a respectful work and service environment that supports diversity, inclusion, and is free from harassment and discrimination. Provides leadership in the development and implementation of inclusive and accessible policies, program and/or services for employees and customers in accordance with MiWay’s commitments and obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and Related Orders, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and MiWay’s policies.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum grade 12 education
- Must possess valid Certiﬁcates of Qualiﬁcation (310T – Truck and Coach is MANDATORY and 310S – Automotive Service Technician is as an asset) trade licenses from the Ontario College of Trades/Skills Trade Ontario
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a front-line supervisor in Vehicle Repair in a unionized environment and working knowledge of Collective Agreements
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a journeyman Motor Vehicle Mechanic
- Detailed knowledge of Truck or Coach vehicle maintenance and repair, and manufacturer’s speciﬁcations and schematics is an asset
- Comprehensive knowledge of shop management practices, preventative maintenance theory, Ministry of Transportation, Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Labour legislated requirements and the Health and Safety Act
- Must possess the ability to establish eﬀective working relationships, with internal and external stakeholders, including staﬀ, senior management, union executive and public
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, along with strong organizational skills Must have a valid Ontario G driver’s license along with a clean driving record
- Must have the ability to acquire Z endorsement (will be trained to obtain the license) Demonstrated ability to act as a coach and mentor through staﬀ development
- Proven ability to create, communicate and execute on procedures and processes which foster eﬃciencies, increase productivity in accordance with safe work practices and equipment operation
- Proven abilities in the use of database and computer applications,
- Thorough knowledge of mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical and air conditioning systems utilized on urban transit vehicles combined with a sound knowledge of diagnostic, inspection, repair and maintenance procedures for these components and vehicle body structure
- Requires an understanding of the skills associated with the maintenance of urban transit vehicles (mechanical, body/paint repair, wheel/tire installation) are used in a major automotive repair environment
To apply, please send a resume in confidence directly to Aman Sodi at [email protected]
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.