Submit your resume
The Senior Supervisor, Depots and Logistics position has an overarching responsibility for efficient and effective depot operations within our client’s program. This role will observe depot operations through a single lens, and work collaboratively with Collection, Post-Collection, and the Post-Collection partner to explore and enact optimal depot infrastructure and service levels to maximize effectiveness and efficiency while better aligning depot costs to their share of collected tonnes in the program. This position will focus on both the day-to-day of depot logistics as well as long-term depot strategy. This position is a 24 month contract and reports to Director, Post-Collection.
Principal Duties and Responsibility:
Depot logistics and oversight – day to day
- Work closely with the Director, Post-Collection and Manager, Post-Collection to ensure department objectives are met.
- Liaise between collection network and Post-Collection partner for any depot logistics related issues.
- Oversee the receiving and quality of depot material from our client’s depot network. Work with Collection and Post-Collection teams to resolve issues and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of handling recyclable material.
- Work with Post-Collection service provider and their depot hauler network to ensure quality and accuracy of material transported and reported.
- Work closely with Post-Collection Field Services Specialist to troubleshoot any ongoing depot issues.
Depot logistics and oversight – long-term
- Working with Post-Collection Coordinator, create and review depot related dashboards and reports to gain better insight into depot operations and identify data trends.
- Work with Post-Collection service provider to find overall efficiencies of the network and improve service levels and responses.
- Chair and project manage the Depot Optimization Action Project (DOAP), with the objective of streamlining and improving the efficiency of the collection and transportation of depot material, through effectively engaging with all project stakeholders.
- Perform time-and-motion studies at depots to better understand their cost drivers, challenges, and opportunities.
- Create and maintain guides for depot best practices based on field and data learnings.
Depot costs and incentives
- Combine operational knowledge of depot logistics with depot operations insight from time-andmotion studies to provide a single lens approach to depot incentive rates which factor in both front-end depot costs and back-end logistics costs.
- Travel to depot sites and provide support for time-in-motion studies.
- Provide learnings and insights to help design cost study project with other team members.
- Participate in regular Cost Study meetings with the Finance, Collection and Post-Collection Team.
Project management and oversight, Post-Collection projects
- Provide representation for Post-Collection for internal projects including but not limited to audits, deposit glass, special collection items, Streetscape, etc.
- Coordinate scheduling of material drop off, delivery, processing, and auditing by a third party.
- In conjunction with Post-Collection Coordinator, data analysis and interpretation for gathered information.
- Provide support for GHG emissions reporting.
- Procedures and data support for post-collection
- Work with Supervisor, Operations Administration to assist in the process of creating internal or external procedures for any Post-Collection related processes.
- Work closely with Post-Collection Coordinator on data dashboards as required by other team members
Liaise on behalf of Post-Collection team with other internal departments
- Participate in relevant Working Groups and discussions.
- Liaise with Post-Collection service provider, Collection team, and other team members on areas of concerns or other relevant issues.
- Provide knowledge and support for the delivery of depot and related services in other jurisdictions such as Saskatchewan as applicable.
- Provide support to the Post-Collection receiving facility network.
- Provide support to Manager, Post-collection and Post-Collection Field Service Specialist as needed for inbound material within the receiving facility network.
- Work with Post-Collection service provider on logistics – provide a better understanding of the logistics network in the system and how transporters are utilized within the province.
- Other duties as assigned.
(a) Internal Relationship
- Works closely with the Post-Collection team, including Manager, Post-Collection and Post Collection Field Service Specialist.
- Works closely with the Collection team, in particular the Collection Specialist for any depot being interacted with.
- Director of Finance, Director of Post-Collection, Director of Collection, and VP, Operations in the design of collection and post-collection depot-related costs and cost studies.
- Circular Materials Business Intelligence and Technical Services (BITS) and Service Provider
- Reporting (SPR) teams for additional analysis and budgeting studies.
(b) External Relationships
- Depot service providers
- Post-Collection service provider and their subcontracted network of transporters and receiving facilities, as applicable.
- 3rd party accounting firm (cost study)
- Provincial waste management associations
- Stewardship Agencies of BC and other Extended Producer Responsibility programs
- Supply chain auditors/consultants
- This position is responsible for achieving program plan targets within the approved annual operating plans within the approved budget.
(b) Decision Making:
- Provide input and make recommendations for operational strategies related to the stewardship program.
- Post-secondary education related to a technical background (i.e., Industrial/Manufacturing Engineer, Environmental/Resource Management), Business Administration, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5-7 years experience in the education field (as above)
- Operational optimization
- Customer or client facing front line experience with technical issues, performing inspections, warranty claims, etc.
- Very strong analytical skills and numbers acumen.
- Strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Good accounting fundamentals.
- This position will require an individual who is able to communicate well with individuals at all levels of an organization in various roles and who is able to work in an environment that is open to the elements, may be dirty and surrounded by heavy machinery and processing equipment.
- Flexible work schedule requiring periods of extended working hours to meet deadlines during peak periods.
- Ability to work in an environment that is open to the elements and may be dirty and surrounded with heavy machinery and processing equipment.
- Requires travel within the province to meet with collection, transportation, and processing partners. A valid driver’s license is required.
- A competitive base salary of 80-85K
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Generous vacation and personal day allowance
Are you the person they are looking for? Get in touch with me and apply now. Not ready to apply or have questions first? Send me an email in confidence and we can go through this opportunity in more detail. [email protected]
We thank all applicants, however, only those who meet the criteria and live in the Lower Mainland will be contacted.