Security Operations Manager
Our client is a national security company with a strong focus in the aviation and transportation industry. They are powered by their people, a robust team unlike any other within the security industry. They innovate, embrace change, they challenge and exceed their client’s expectations. They continuously implement new strategies and strive for an environment which creates a culture of constant improvement.
The Operations Manager oversees the day-to-day provision of 24/7 security guard and Security Operations Centre (SOC) services. Security Guard services range from SOC Monitoring & Dispatch to Access Control to Mobile Patrols and Escort & Surveillance services. This position is responsible for the effective management, supervision, training, and operation of a security team, ensuring compliance with the contract requirements and government legislation. The Operations Manager has full responsibility for ensuring the security team successfully executes their mandate of security, operational and customer service excellence and is accountable for the delivery of all operational KPI’s within the Scope of Service.
The Operations Manager is the primary operational point of contact/liaison for the client, and as such works closely with the client to understand their service needs and challenges in order to deliver a service which meets/exceeds expectations and proactively responds to operational changes, challenges, and fluctuating needs.
This role is an 18-month maternity replacement contract however there is an excellent opportunity for continued employment within the organization.
- Participates in client security/operational meetings, committees, working groups and briefings.
- Meets with client weekly/monthly to review service performance, issues, recommendations, problems, concerns, and changing requirements.
- Ensures sufficient, qualified, trained and personnel to perform required services and hours of coverage; ensuring sufficient break relief and back-up guards.
- Ensures daily staffing plans are designed to optimize staff deployment, break relief & leave coverage and to meet fluctuating or ad-hoc customer demands.
- Plans, coordinates, and monitors all “Day of” security activities in collaboration with client reps and responds to, investigates, and resolves operational issues in a timely and efficient manner.
- Develops, implements, executes, and maintains Operational Plans, SOPs, Protocols and Post Orders for the effective operation and management of 24/7 service.
- Establishes standardized, formal processes and procedures to:
- Plan, record and track the performance of daily post/position shift inspections.
- Develop and deliver initial and annual employee recurrent training/certification.
- Deliver/track OJT Training for all personnel prior to being assigned duties.
- Conduct OJT In-Field Training/Testing of leads/guards.
- Ensure effective incident/event reporting of any incidents/event reporting.
- Maintain records of complaints, problems, incidents, events and disciplinary, operational, or administrative actions taken.
- Investigate all problems, complaints, incidents, deficiencies and take appropriate corrective action.
- Maintain Inventory Control Program of company/client issued equipment as well as procedures to protect and safeguard equipment from loss/theft, damage, or misuse.
- Prepares and/or reviews operational and performance reports.
- Arranges for the procurement, maintenance and/or replacement of all equipment and supplies (vehicles, furniture, communications, logbooks, reports, etc.) required to perform the services.
- Fosters and maintains collaborative working relationships/partnerships with clients and key stakeholder groups to coordinate activities, identify and resolve potential and/or actual process/procedure or performance issues/concerns and to seek opportunities for improvement.
- Establishes and implements a system of monitoring, auditing, tracking, recording, and reporting service delivery performance/quality assurance against established Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) to ensure consistency, quality of service and achievement of contractual requirements.
- Ensures compliance with all company and client policies, standards, contractual obligations as well as government regulations. Ensures employees meet all requirements of the company General Orders for Security Personnel and enforces all rules, policies, and procedures in a fair and impartial manner.
- Participates/assists in the maintenance of the Quality System and participates in reviews and meetings associated with the ISO 9001:2015 QPM and QSP manuals, including internal audits.
- Participates in HR and Administrative functions such as recruitment, discipline, training and skills development, coaching/mentoring and performance assessment and evaluation to ensure staff are knowledgeable, qualified, and skilled and provide the best passenger experience through customer focused, friendly, respectful, and helpful behaviours.
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement and innovation which leverages technology and best practices and new ideas and initiatives to improve services/processes. This includes participation in programs which encourage, recognize and reward front-line staff for identifying improvement recommendations.
Education and Experience
- Five (5) years experience in guard management/supervisory experience
- Post Secondary Education (University Degree or College Diploma) or equivalent work experience.
- People management and operations experience with a strong focus on metrics, including a solid knowledge of KPI’s and SLA’s.
- Knowledge of the Private Investigators and Security Guards Act. Including all applicable Regulations and guidelines pertaining to working as a Security Guard in the Province of Alberta
- A Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident or Landed Immigrant
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be bondable.
- Able to obtain and maintain a government issued Security Clearance.
- Licenced by the Province of Alberta as a registered Security Guard.
- Must have a full Alberta Drivers licence with no restrictions and a clean driver abstract.
- Hold a certificate demonstrating completion in a recognized Customer Service and Conflict Resolution Training Program
- Must participate in the Company Basic Security Training program that involves up to 5 or more classroom training days and Supervisory/Management Training course that involves up to 5 or more classroom training days.
- Must complete practical training in radio procedures, usage and communications and must maintain a high level of radio proficiency.
- Must complete company Quality Assurance program orientation.
- Must be trained in First Aid & CPR and updated every 2 years.
- Must be physically capable of performing all duties of the position.
- Must be willing and available to be on-call to clients on a 24/7 basis.
- Law enforcement background an asset
- Industry related training and recognized certifications (e.g., CPP, PSP, etc.)
Skills, Abilities and Personal Suitability
- Strong leadership skills and an excellent role model with the skills and ability to motivate, engage and empower front-line team.
- Superior communication (oral and written), presentation and facilitation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service and conflict resolution skills with an unrelenting commitment and passion to customer service excellence
- Strong organization, planning, time management, negotiation problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Self-directed/driven, highly resourceful, organized, detail and solutions oriented with the ability to successfully manage under pressure, drive process improvement and quickly respond to conflicting demands and changing priorities in a professional and diplomatic manner.
- Strong and proficient computer skills, specifically in MS Office Applications including Microsoft Word and Excel and has the knowledge and ability to use PC based incident reporting and scheduling systems.
- Demonstrates critical thinking, good judgement and problem-solving skills and the ability to make effective decisions under pressure.
- Thrives in a complex, high demand, fast-paced, agile complex operational and customer-centric environment.
- Innovative and continuous improvement mindset – Skilled in identifying unique problems in Service Delivery operations and formulating and recommending innovative solutions to best meet client needs.
- Solid surveillance/observation/information gathering/investigation and report writing skills.
- Demonstrates professionalism, integrity and good judgement and objectivity.
- Agile, vigilant, and able to detect problems and react quickly.
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Security Operations Manager