Submit your resume
About our client
Our client is a leading provider of general project management and mechanical services. Their professional teams work throughout the Lower Mainland providing advanced building solutions and general project management in the areas of ICI new construction, TI projects, commercial and residential service, maintenance and installations. Celebrating more than 30 years in business, they have built a successful and reputable brand through reliable service, quality workmanship, and a commitment to customer satisfaction.
Since its inception, our client has achieved high staff retention due to employee satisfaction and work culture initiatives that create a healthy work/life balance. They are proud to be an active member of their local community with involvement in various philanthropic and socially responsible initiatives.
They are experiencing unprecedented growth and looking for a Construction Manager that possesses the drive and determination to help expand their Mechanical Construction Division. The Construction Manager is essential to the success of their organization and your enterprising attitude and goal-driven approach make you an admirable candidate to help them achieve their vision. Their team values innovation and collaboration, they strive for excellence and welcome your commitment to upholding their standards.
About the Role
Our client has an immediate opening for a Construction Manager role within their Mechanical Contracting Department. This is an ideal position for someone with previous project management experience who is looking to advance their career. They deliver the highest quality of workmanship in their industry and expect the Construction Manager to adhere to their principles. Overseeing ICI Mechanical projects from conception to completion, the overarching responsibilities of this role are to provide leadership, direct staff, estimate jobs and manage costs while ensuring the profitability of the department.
This position is permanent, full-time and reports directly to the Vice President of Operations.
The Construction Manager’s daily duties and responsibilities include:
Estimating and Project Management
- Perform pre-tender site walkthroughs
- Review bid docs, plans, specifications and drawings to ensure your team is completing accurate take-offs and pricing
- Foster strong relationships with contractors, engineers and suppliers to facilitate invitation to bid opportunities
- Deliver on promises and execute projects in a cost-effective timely manner, without compromising quality
- Manage schedules, materials, labour and expectations
- Conduct progress and performance evaluations through the cycle of the project, report weekly to the Senior Management team
- Hold yourself and your team accountable, adopt a continuous improvement mentality
- Manage the daily operations of the Construction Division to include field staff, project estimators/managers
- Participate in the EOS program, collaborate with other department managers, seek advice, and demonstrate a willingness to work as a team
- Inspire your staff through your own example of dedication and commitment to achieving goals
- Actively recruit top talent from the industry, look for self-starters and promote accordingly. Ensure proper training and certification for new and existing staff
- Follow policies for new hires, manage turnover and ensure labour forecasting is managed to avoid layoffs
- Nurture relationships with staff, resolve disputes promptly, and employee retention is critical
- Commit to 20% growth in revenue year over year
- Work with the Senior Management team to set department goals with the objective of sustainable and profitable expansion
Budget and Cost Control
- Perform job cost analysis, report on issues well in advance
- Work with the Controller on monitoring and reporting on project costs to establish the percentage of completion
- Complete projection reports, report to Senior Management team weekly or as requested
- Manage the profitability of all projects, as well as the department at large
- Ensure your PM team administers change orders promptly
- Alongside PMs, Superintendents, ensure any excess material is returned to control costs
- Manage sub-trade costs with your PM team
- Oversee the release of project invoicing and statutory declarations (i.e. monthly progress draws, change order charges, consulting, invoicing, etc.)
- Work with the Finance Department to monitor outstanding receivables on a bi-weekly basis
- Communicate with contractors/owners regarding outstanding billables/receivables
- Work with the Finance Department on new project set-up including job numbers, purchase order amounts, cost estimates, etc.
- Review and categorize billables on a bi-weekly basis
- Prepare and administer all project schedules with your PM/Superintendent team. Use Gantt style or other similar and effective planning tools
- Communicate pivotal dates and deadlines to the Construction team, Senior Management team and clients
- Ensure sub-trades are aware of schedules and deadlines
- Supervise material delivery dates, address work delays and be prepared to pivot staff to maintain productivity
- Eliminate downtime with field staff due to poor planning and underutilization of resources
Health & Safety
- Adhere to the company Occupational Health & Safety policies
- Reduce lost time incidents
- Ensure all new and existing staff receive proper OH & S training
- Administer PPE to all new and existing staff, as needed
- Maintain knowledge of provincial OH & S guidelines for the Construction industry
- Participate in OH & S meetings, create safe work practices
- Commit to a safe and healthy workplace for your employees
Quality, Performance & Completion
- Review and monitor project documentation including change orders, site instructions, engineer/General Contractor (GC) field review reports, deficiency lists, purchase orders, etc.
- Perform site visits when required including attending project site meetings, consultant walkthrough, permit inspections, etc.
- Work on project closeout activities including monitoring deficiency lists, Operations and Maintenance (OM) Manuals, substantial completion walkthroughs, field project warranty requests, etc.
- Perform quarterly/annual reviews, create training and development plans and oversee all disciplinary actions
- Evaluate work performed, address variances in quality and seek feedback from clients
- Address challenges, offer mentorship and resolve conflicts promptly
- Build trust, promote the organization and never accept mediocrity
Qualifications & Requirements
- Minimum 10 years of mechanical contracting experience
- Experienced in all facets of Construction Management including estimating, contracts, scheduling, job costing, financial reporting and business development
- Post-secondary degree in construction management, engineering, business or a combination of relevant education and experience
- Journeyman Trade Certification or a related field is an asset, not required
- Experience using email and Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
- Attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Ability to work independently and to make decisions using sound judgement
- Knowledge of Worksafe BC legislation
- Experiencing managing $20M – $30M/year
- Must be growth-minded and able to thrive in a leadership role
- Strong base salary 130-150K
- Annual and performance bonuses
- Car allowance and gas card
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- RRSP matching
Are you the person they are looking for? Get in touch with me and apply now. Not ready to apply or have questions first? Send me an email in confidence and we can go through this opportunity in more detail. [email protected]
We thank all applicants, however, only those under consideration and living in the Lower Mainland will be contacted.
- Richmond, BC
- Richmond, BC