About Our Client:
As Canada’s sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 741,000 residents and more than 54,000 businesses, including more than 60 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is “Leading Today for Tomorrow” by focusing on delivering services, implementing its Strategic Plan, delivering value for money and maintaining infrastructure.
Make your move to the City of Mississauga and come be part of something BIG!
Senior Manager Transit Maintenance
As an accomplished mentor and strategic thinker, your leadership of unionized and non-unionized employees will contribute to the evolution of Mississauga as one of Canada’s sixth largest city. With your keen knowledge and technical aptitude towards fleet administration and maintenance you will oversee the management and daily operation of two (2) repair facilities. In this broad role, you’ll ensure that maintenance and replacement programs meet service levels according to plan and budget. Through development and management of performance metrics, you’ll drive continuous improvement and support organizational decision-making. You will assist in the development and implement policies, practices and procedures for both employees and management of the repair facilities. You will be a pivotal member of the Transit Maintenance Leadership team and provide direction and leadership to the Maintenance Supervisory team.
**Due to Covid-19, most of our offices are currently closed to protect the health and safety of our employees, clients and community. As such, this position will be required to work remotely for an undetermined period. Once our offices re-open you will report to the above work location.
Duties & Responsibilities:
In this broad role, you’ll ensure that maintenance and replacement programs meet service levels according to plan and budget. Through development and management of performance metrics, you’ll drive continuous improvement and support organizational decision-making. With your progressive experience in a unionized work environment, you will contribute in collective bargaining discussions and administer the agreement.
Short Term Priorities
- Manage Transit Maintenance programs, establishing long and short term plans and clear objectives.
- Ensure that maintenance and replacement programs meet service levels according to plan and budget by being actively involved in daily operations of the repair facilities.
- Manage Transit fleet and maintenance facilities ensuring repair, overhaul and replacement programs result in lowest asset ownership costs while meeting operational requirements.
- Work with peers to determine future strategic direction for fleet procurement and maintenance.
- Actively participate in the service areas business planning and budgeting process.
- Develop and manage metrics to drive continuous improvement and support organizational decision-making.
- Participate in collective bargaining discussions and administer the collective agreement.
- Manage employee and labour relation matters including discipline, grievances, performance, attendance management and workplace inspections/investigations.
- Execute procedures and standards to ensure a safe, productive and timely operation.
- Oversee and implement staff training to ensure compliance.
- Advance continuous improvement in Transit maintenance through Lean Six Sigma practices.
Long Term Priorities
- Stay current on industry trends and transfer the information to support Divisional vision.
- Ensure adherence to applicable legislation, policies, procedures, rules and regulations and collective agreement by taking appropriate measures.
- Develop short term plans and actively participate in the service areas business planning and budgeting process.
- Support an environment that embraces change and encourages acceptance.
- Develop partnerships with stakeholders to deliver services.
- Support leadership succession planning.
- Continue to improve communication and increase employee engagement.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in Mechanical/Industrial Engineering, Business or related field; or any combination of education and experience deemed equivalent.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of progressive experience in fleet maintenance management.
- Solid understanding of fleet asset management, principles shop management practices, repair procedures and preventative maintenance theory.
- Experience with managing within a unionized environment is essential.
- Experience with managing labour and employee issues is essential.
- Knowledge of Ministry of Transportation, Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Labour requirements.
- Knowledge of applicable legislative requirements such as the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Employment Standards Act, the Highway Traffic Act and the Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration program.
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record acceptable to the City of Mississauga.
- Valid Ministry of Trades 310T/310S certification is required.
- Level 2 – Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of stakeholders and audiences with differing views and perspectives including Transit Senior Management, Divisional Departments and Industry community groups; strong public speaking skills.
- Strong strategic and decision making skills balanced with a pragmatic, results-oriented approach.
- Demonstrated leadership ability for coaching, developing and leading a team through times of continuous change while maintaining a positive, healthy and productive work environment.
- Proven record of executing procedures and processes which foster efficiencies and result in an increase in productivity.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and transfer information and knowledge in a formal and informal environment along with solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Establishes processes, controls and measures to ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Prioritizes fleet repairs and planning to support green fleet initiatives, such as electrification.
- Experience supporting complex procurements, including RFPs, RFQs, RFTs.
- Experience managing maintenance operations, using best practices incorporating proactive maintenance strategies.
- Manage vehicle telematics data to analyze and optimize asset performance.
To apply, please send a resume in confidence directly to Aman Sodi at [email protected]
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.