Manager, Fleet Services
About Our Client:
As Canada’s sixth largest city, the City of Mississauga is home to 741,000 residents and more than 54,000 businesses, including more than 60 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is “Leading Today for Tomorrow” by focusing on delivering services, implementing its Strategic Plan, delivering value for money and maintaining infrastructure.
Make your move to the City of Mississauga and come be part of something BIG!
More information: https://www7.mississauga.ca/websites/recruitment/?p=fleet-manager
Reporting to the Director of Works Operations and Maintenance, you will sit on the Divisions Management Team and contribute to the delivery of the highest quality services to our customers and demonstrate excellence in people leadership.
A strategic thinker and accomplished project manager, your leadership of unionized and non-unionized employees will contribute to the evolution of Mississauga as one of Canada’s sixth largest city. With your keen knowledge and technical aptitude towards fleet administration and maintenance you will oversee the management and daily operation of a large Service Centre. In this broad role, you will ensure that maintenance and replacement programs meet service levels according to plan and budget. Through development and management of performance metrics, you will drive continuous improvement and support organizational decision-making. You will develop and implement policies, practices and procedures for both employees and management of the Service Centre. You will also be a member of the Works, Operations and Management Leadership team and provide strategic direction and leadership to the Division as part of this team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
In this broad role, you will ensure that maintenance and replacement programs meet service levels according to plan and budget. Through development and management of performance metrics, you will drive continuous improvement and support organizational decision-making. With your progressive experience in a unionized work environment, you will contribute in collective bargaining negotiations and administer the agreement.
Short Term Priorities
- Strategically manage Service Centre programs, establishing long and short term plans and clear objectives.
- Ensure that maintenance and replacement programs meet service levels according to plan and budget by being actively involved in daily operations of the Service Centre.
- Manage fleet and maintenance facilities ensuring repair, overhaul and replacement programs result in lowest asset ownership costs while meeting operational requirements.
- Work with client groups to determine future strategic direction for fleet procurement and maintenance.
- Negotiate and manage procurement of contracts and equipment by developing specifications, and reviewing bid submissions to determine best options for the City of Mississauga.
- Actively participate in the service areas business planning and budgeting process.
- Develop and manage metrics to drive continuous improvement and support organizational decision-making.
- Participate in collective bargaining negotiations and administer the collective agreement.
- Manage employee and labour relation matters including discipline, grievances, performance, attendance management and workplace inspections/investigations.
- Execute procedures and standards to ensure a safe, productive and timely operation.
- Oversee and implement staff training to ensure compliance.
- Advance continuous improvement in Fleet Services through Lean Six Sigma
Long Term Priorities
- Stay current on industry trends and transfer the information to support Divisional vision.
- Ensure adherence to applicable legislation, policies, procedures, rules and regulations and collective agreement by taking appropriate measures.
- Develop a long term strategic plan and actively participate in the service areas business planning and budgeting process.
- Support an environment that embraces change, and encourages acceptance.
- Develop partnerships with stakeholders to deliver services.
- Develop leadership succession plan.
- Continue to improve communication and increase employee engagement.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in Mechanical/Industrial Engineering, Business or related field; or any combination of education and experience deemed equivalent.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of progressive experience in fleet management.
- Solid understanding of fleet asset management, principles shop management practices, repair procedures and preventative maintenance theory.
- Experience with managing within a unionized environment is essential.
- Experience with managing labour and employee issues is essential.
- Knowledge of Ministry of Transportation, Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Labour requirements.
- Knowledge of applicable legislative requirements such as the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Employment Standards Act, the Highway Traffic Act and the Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration program.
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record acceptable to the City of Mississauga.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of stakeholders and audiences with differing views and perspectives including Members of Council, the public and community groups; strong negotiation skills.
- Strong strategic and decision making skills balanced with a pragmatic, results-oriented approach.
- Demonstrated leadership ability for coaching, developing and leading a team through times of continuous change while maintaining a positive, healthy and productive work environment.
- Proven record of executing procedures and processes which foster efficiencies and result in an increase in productivity.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and transfer information and knowledge in a formal and informal environment along with solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Establishes processes, controls and measures to ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Prioritizes fleet replacement planning to include green fleet initiatives, such as electrification.
- Experience leading complex procurements, including RFPs, RFQs, RFTs,.
- Experience managing maintenance operations, using best practices incorporating proactive maintenance strategies.
- Manage the corporate vehicle telematics initiative to analyze and optimize asset and operator performance.
To apply, please send a resume in confidence directly to Aman Sodi at [email protected]
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Manager, Fleet Services