Submit your resume
The Western Irrigation District (WID)provides irrigation water to over 400 farms and 96,000 acres of land. In addition, it supplies municipal water to over 12,000 people in four different communities through 1,200 km of canals and pipelines. Like other irrigation districts in Alberta, the WID operates under the rules and procedures of the Irrigation Districts Act. The WID is headquartered in Strathmore, Alberta, approximately 40 kilometres east of Calgary.
This position is based in the Town of Strathmore and will require travel to project locations within the District.
The Executive Manager of Operations provides leadership, management and direction to a highly experienced management team within the strategic vision of the Western Irrigation District mandate. With a team of approximately 28 staff members, we develop our construction projects within the tight financial restrictions regulated by the Western Irrigation District. Key objectives are to promote positive relations between operations, engineering, business development, fleet management and administration departments along with building positive relationships with external stakeholders. As part of the Executive Management Team, the position provides the General Manager with support in implementing WID Mission Statements and Strategic Priorities within the financial restraints of the district. Development of new innovative operations, business development opportunities and the identifications of mutually beneficial projects will be part of this mandate. Sharing of resources, cost reductions and revenue generation with all municipal and private stakeholders is a Key Objective to the success of this position. Oversite will be required of the all regulatory submissions and the development of grant applications with a sound focus on cost reduction and efficient operations.
Reporting to the General Manager this role will have direct reports of: Water Master, Construction Coordinator and On-Site Construction Coordinator
POLICY AND PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
- Administer the day-to-day Water Operations, Construction Schedule, Fleet Management, and Business Development of the WID. In addition, provide direction for the staff’s implementation of policy.
- Execute the research, planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services, ensuring they meet the policy guidelines and reflect the priorities as directed by the General Manager.
- Development of awareness of government policies and integration of objectives emerging from the political process, social and economic trends, and the advice of WID staff and stakeholders in accordance with the General Manager.
- Conduct market research to develop new strategies. Develop new business strategies based on market research and build relationships with new or current investors.
- Analyze financial data and create strategies to trim overhead costs. In addition, analyze financial data and implement new budgets or strategies to reduce costs
- Analyze client or customer feedback to improve the business plan
- Create revenue generation proposals for new and existing clients. Review and develop existing subdivision and business development projects currently in execution.
- Meet with new stakeholders and maintain relationships with current ones
- Create a budget and track expenses for all business development cases
- Maintain positive market growth within the WID business model.
STRATEGIC PLANNING & VISIONING
- Execution of the vision and strategic plan for the WID.
- Identify emerging issues that will affect the WID. Then, under the direction of the General Manager, execute specific organizational goals and outcomes, including management practices, programs, and service goals.
- Communicate with key internal and external stakeholders to identify the changing needs and conditions of the community that the WID serve
- Work to synergize rural interests and urban development needs for the benefit of water users while also considering the protection of the agricultural stakeholders’ interests.
- Work in collaboration with staff, key stakeholders, and relevant community agencies and groups to accomplish objectives and fulfill responsibilities.
- Encourage team-building by facilitating open communication and positive working relationships with staff and water users.
- Attend all Board meetings.
- Assist staff in developing the necessary skills to succeed within WID by setting clear, results-oriented goals with realistic and measurable outcomes.
- Support and encourage staff initiatives.
OPERATIONS, ENGINEERING, BUILDING OPERATIONS
- Execute, monitor and evaluate ongoing rehabilitation and engineering work as directed by the General Manager.
- Execute, monitor and evaluate ongoing water operations throughout the district.
- Ensures that human resource policies are followed and provide support in the recruitment, selection, orientation, and training of WID staff.
- Report, monitor, and evaluate the ongoing performance of staff and provide regular, appropriate, and constructive feedback. Communicate directly with the General Manager on performance levels regularly.
- Oversee the operations and maintenance of the WID building in conjunction with the Marigold Library System building and Common Space Operations for site operations.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT & RISK ANALYSIS
- Administer WID funds according to the budget approved and WID policies set by the Board, and advise the General Manager on all financial matters.
- Implement the WID policies for the allocation and distribution of resources.
- Encourage fiscal responsibility and stewardship throughout the organization.
- Evaluate the potential assets and liabilities of a project, proposal, or strategy, ensuring that risks and opportunities have been identified and appraised, reporting directly to the General Manager.