Executive Director of Human Resources and Compliance
Location: Essex County, Ontario
About Our Client: Our client is a well-established and rapidly growing, privately held business in the agriculture industry.
Position Scope: Reporting functionally to the Chief Executive Officer and operationally to the Chief Operating Officer, this role is responsible for leading organizational development that supports the growth of both employees and the organization. The Executive Director of Human Resources and Compliance develops and implements human resource strategies, policies, practices and programs for employment, talent acquisition, talent development, management learning and organizational development, performance management, compensation, benefits, employee and labour relations. The Executive Director supports the goals and objectives of the organization by effectively managing and administering HR policies and programs in accordance with company policy and government regulations and acts the key point of contact with government and other regulatory agencies and ministries. This position is also responsible for oversight of Food and Health Safety for US and Canada operations, to ensure compliance with food safety and processing regulations and standards established by governing bodies and the organization.
- Develop a human resources agenda that supports key business strategies and initiatives by implementing systems, processes and best practices that are scalable across the organization
- Develop or adapt and execute best practices in all HR functions to promote employee engagement and to enable a high-performing workforce that contributes to the organization’s strategic growth
- Assess company culture and employee morale and recommend changes to accomplish company goals and objectives
- Anticipate key business issues and provide exceptional HR service to the business units
- Comply with corporate compensation strategies and policies and Canadian and US pay equity regulations and labour legislation and, liaise with regulatory agencies and ministries to ensure compliance
- Oversee benefit program strategy and administration
- Provide functional leadership of HR and Compliance teams and coach, develop and mentor direct reports
- Provide support on complex employee relations or HR matters, overseeing grievances and intermediate workplace disputes
- Oversee and respond to all internal and external human resources audits and subsequent compliance that may result; accurate and timely reporting to regulatory agencies
- Strategically plan for the organization’s human capital needs, in concert with other managers.
- Develop and facilitate training and development programs for employees and managers.
- Remain current with best practices, legislative changes and industry standards.
- Participates in executive, management, and company staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Maintain and enhance the company’s profile by developing and maintaining effective relationships with government and regulatory bodies, professional organizations, other institutions/ associations and the corporate community including key players within the industry
- Identify and address issues that affect the overall health of the organization; morale, effectiveness, turnover, absenteeism and productivity.
- Support diversity initiatives
- Implement and manage different compensation plans.
- Provide guidance for change management initiatives.
- Develop and analyze measurable reports providing fiscal justification for personnel activities in regards to benefit costs, staffing levels/deployment, turnover, absenteeism, recruitment, applicant tracking, compensation, promotions and employee productivity.
- Conduct job performance evaluations and exit interviews.
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts and policies striving to resolve work-related issues.
- Oversee/assist in the investigation and reporting of accidents/incidents.
- Oversee workload of department for the purpose of maximizing the efficiency of the work force.
- Oversee enforcement and improvement of programs related to Food and Health Safety systems and SQF Level 3 Code
- Oversee enforcement of and compliance with standard operating procedures, hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) and good manufacturing practices (GMPs)
- Ensure approval of packaging and finished goods specifications, microbiological analysis and specifications, process specifications and ad hoc safety and quality issues as they arise in the normal course of production and distribution
- Oversee and respond to all internal and external compliance audits and subsequent compliance that may result; accurate and timely reporting to regulatory agencies
- Develop and monitor an annual budget that includes Human Resources services, employee recognition, sports teams support, company philanthropic giving, and administration.
- Select and supervise Human Resources consultants, attorneys, and training specialists, and together with the Director of Finance & Administration coordinates company use of insurance brokers, insurance carriers, pension administrators, and other outside sources.
- Responsible for ensuring the Company is compliant with contractual and provincial legislative requirements such as the Labour Relations Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Employment Standards Act, and the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Review existing and forthcoming legislation to determine Labour Relations impact on the organization; make recommendations regarding legislation.
- Direct a yearly process of organizational planning that evaluates company structure, job design, and personnel forecasting throughout the company.
- Responsible for the development and execution of company’s strategic HR plan.
- Oversee the performance management system and coaching and mentoring programs
- Manage company-wide committees including the wellness, training, environmental health and safety, activity, and culture and communications committees.
- Develop succession plans and annual talent review sessions and manage careers of key/high potential individuals ensuring their engagement and retention
- Investigate and provide resolutions for employee relations problems
- Design, direct, and manage a company-wide process of organization development that addresses issues such as succession planning, superior workforce development, key employee retention, organization design, and change management.
- Discover new ways of attracting top talent and ensure that the Company has an emergency succession plan in place for unforeseen staffing changes
- With the assistance of the Director of Finance & Administration, obtains cost effective, employee serving benefits; monitors national benefits environment for options and cost savings.
- Recommends changes in benefits offered, especially new benefits aimed at employee satisfaction and retention.
- Upon approval by President be responsible for the design and implementation of any new policies and procedures and/or modification to existing policies pertaining to all aspects of the human resources function and Company Corporate Policies.
- Lead competitive market research to establish pay practices and pay bands that help to recruit and retain superior staff.
- Leads the implementation of the performance management system that includes performance development plans (PDPs) and employee development programs
- Ensure the Company’s strong commitment to employee health and safety is reflected in well-defined, developed, and implemented programs and procedures that meet all regulatory requirements.
- Report on overall HR financial metrics, engagement scores, turnover rates, number and severity of complaints
- Responsible for weekly Human Resources report direct to President which shall include employee issues, health and safety concerns, etc.
- Other duties may be assigned as required.
Education and Experience:
- 5 – 7 years’ experience with a Master’s Degree OR 7 – 9 years’ experience with a Bachelor’s Degree OR 9+ years’ relative experience
- Demonstrated strong communication and relationship building abilities to influence cross-functional teams.
- Ability to lead, manage, and motivate teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage HR strategy, leadership and organizational development, contracts, negotiations, and change
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable employment, wage and salary laws and regulations and ability to interpret and comply with those
- Able to analyse and re-engineer operations, procedures, formulate policy as well as develop and implement new strategies and procedures
- Office environment and periodic exposure to hot growing and/or cold production environments
- Using a computer keyboard and mouse for long periods of time
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations
- Travel may be required
Application Instructions: To apply, please send a resume to Aman Sodi at [email protected]
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Executive Director of Human Resources and Compliance