Submit your resume
The Collection Specialist (Recycling) is responsible for overseeing collection operations, including direct service and non-direct service contracts. The Specialist works directly with collection service providers and other stakeholders to ensure the operational policies and practices established by our client are clearly communicated, understood and followed in practice resulting in greater overall efficiency and effectiveness in operations.
This position will lead the implementation of collection projects in designated regions of the province for all types of collection and will provide oversight of the operational activities provided by collection service providers in those areas. The Specialist is the primary point of contact for collectors and contractors and is responsible for defining strategic priorities, maintaining compliance and material quality, and optimizing value-generating relationships while administering remediation and intervention as required with collection service providers. This role reports to the Manager of the Collection Department.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities:
- Be the primary contact for collection service providers and actively manage all aspects of collection systems in a defined region of the province, including managing the onboarding of new collectors, changes to collection models and contract terminations.
- Manage and build relationships directly with collectors and oversee all aspects of program operations, including in-field training, site visits and managing escalations as necessary; oversee collection service providers to ensure operational and Program Plan targets are met.
- Leverage relationships to teach, train, troubleshoot, problem solve, collaborate, implement, learn, and resolve key operational and program plan issues and objectives.
- Actively monitor field reports, collection data, contamination results and other sources of information to identify collectors with the highest priority compliance and quality assurance issues (contamination, lC&l, etc.).
Development and maintenance of tools, standards, and best practices:
- Working with the Manager, Collection and other Collection Specialists, actively assess key metrics, in-field best practices and recommend opportunities to pursue high performance standards and implement processes to enhance operational efficiency and effectiveness, increase recovery rates or implement processes to enhance program effectiveness.
- Development and maintenance of tools, standards, and best practices:
- Participate in the development and roll-out of vendor standards, scorecards and protocols to define operating standards, document templates and design, management of appropriate document tracking, filing and updating for use by the Collection team and oversee their implementation.
- Collaborate with other team members to gather information, conduct research and analysis, test ideas and conclusions, and develop plans and strategies necessary to achieve the objectives of the program.
- Develop and refine policies and procedures on issues of shared concern with Direct Service local governments and ensure consistent application by all parties (e.g. collection schedule changes, additions/removals of new households, customer service forwarding etc.)
- Manage and build relationships with all of our client’s teams and team members to foster organization synergies, ensuring collaboration with post-collection, special projects, knowledge of First Nations, GHG reporting, etc., to provide feedback and assistance as needed.
- Follow dispute resolution protocols should changes or other issues require escalated management.
- In Direct Service areas, maintain an accurate list of addresses receiving service in each designated direct service area (including detailed service information), verify address and service anomalies, and track household changes (additions and removals).
- Coordinate with Communications team members on the development and distribution of promotion/education materials and activities, including the development of recycling guides, website and app content and define processes to utilize communication processes like Recollect effectively.
Program operations and strategic development:
- Develop operating procedures and project templates purposed to standardize operations and increase efficiencies across the provincial network.
- Work closely with the Manager, Collection prior to initiating or executing changes that impact the collection and post-collection network and related commercial arrangements to ensure that the terms and conditions for change in the collector agreements are followed.
- Oversee the implementation of service changes, transitions from local government to our client-managed service and transitions from one collection service provider or service type to another as applicable.
- Develop and implement projects aligned with annual operating plans and Program Plan key metrics, including reducing contamination rates, enhancing in-scope material capture rates, increasing operational efficiencies, standardizing processes, trialling new collection models, etc.
- Assist in the coordination and development of annual collection guides for Direct Service areas, working with local governments, contractors, and our client’s team members to execute.
- Oversee collection container management in Direct Service areas.
- Conduct public outreach on an occasional basis to ensure understanding of our client’s program; act as a program ambassador at public events, conferences and speaking engagements to promote trust in and values of our client.
- Post-secondary education related to environmental studies, sustainability, supply chain, operations, and related disciplines.
- At least 5 years in an operations environment, preferably with supply chain experience in a business or a private sector/municipal sector waste management environment.
- Ability to conduct detailed analysis and provide summaries and recommendations.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to work independently on a daily basis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to prepare clear and concise administrative and technical reports.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build strong relationships.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively create and implement project plans.
- Proficiency in MS Office Excel, Word and PowerPoint and strong operational software management capabilities, including the ability to analyze and synthesize data.
- Remote with travel to the office in North Vancouver for meetings or activities on a frequency to be determined plus when notified that attendance is required.
- Travel throughout a defined region of the province will be required to visit collection sites.
- Occasional travel to other areas of the province to conduct site inspections and meet with various partners.
- Travel may also be required to attend workshops and conferences.
- A valid BC driver’s license is required.
- The peak work period may require extended hours.
Are you the person they are looking for? Get in touch with me and apply now. Not ready to apply or have questions first? Send me an email in confidence and we can go through this opportunity in more detail. [email protected]
We thank all applicants, however, only those under consideration will be contacted