About Our Client:
Our client is a high-profile government agency.
The Policy and Issues Analyst takes a lead role in the collection of information and analysis of issues of importance to the French Language Services Unit and the Commissioner. The Analyst is accountable for keeping abreast of legislative bills and other governmental initiatives, maintaining a network with policy experts, and remaining current through other sources of information, within Ontario and across Canada.
This opportunity will appeal to people who are committed to contributing to the advancement of language rights and obligations to provide services in French.
Successful candidates will have knowledge of the Ontario government’s French language services commitments and the issues affecting francophones in Ontario in accessing services in French. The incumbent will have a demonstrated record of accomplishments with informing policy development and strategic planning through initiating independent or collaborative research studies. The incumbent must keep abreast of legislative bills and other governmental initiatives that may have an impact on the provision of services, particularly French language services, and on the development of the Franco-Ontarian community.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Superior verbal and written communications skills in French and English, with the ability to deliver information with tact, clarity, and accuracy
- Knowledge of the Ontario government’s French language services policies and legislative goals
- Knowledge of principals, methods, and techniques for analyzing policies
- Knowledge of relevant data sources including statistical information related to the Inclusive Definition of Francophone
- Knowledge of applications and tools to manage information and ensure reliability and appropriateness of information upon which strategic decisions are made
- Knowledge of principles, methods and techniques for developing and analyzing strategic policies, and for developing, qualifying and defending recommendations to support decision making and implementation
- Excellent knowledge of consultations, networking, presentations and writing/editing methods, techniques and practices, and methods for adapting technical information into terms that are understood by non-technical audiences
- Excellent consultation and collaboration skills, with the ability to contribute analytical insight and a strategic policy perspective in the identification, assessment and handling of key issues and document support
- Understanding of the historical background of French language services delivery, and the political sensitivity and issues that surround it, to: lead and manage the development and implementation of a strategic framework supporting the delivery of French language services in Ontario and compliance with the FLSA
- Excellent knowledge of Francophone communities in Ontario, other Francophone key stakeholders as well as linguistic and cultural issues
- Review incoming complaints, resolutions and identification and analysis of complaint trends to identify potential trends to help support the research and policy analysis, as well as other elements of the work
- Self-starter with a proven ability to work independently and on a team
- Knowledge or experience working with provincial government organizations or broader public sector organizations
- Some travel may be required
Education and Experience:
- Proven and recent experience (within last three years) in researching and analyzing policy in a similar organization
- University degree in a field related to one or more of the following: communications, law, political science, or public administration or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
To apply, please send a resume to Allison Dwyer at [email protected].
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.