Academic Compensation Specialist
About Our Client:
Queen’s has a long history of scholarship, discovery, and innovation that has shaped our collective knowledge and helped address some of the world’s most pressing concerns. Home to more than 25,000 students, the university offers a comprehensive research-intensive environment with prominent strengths in physics, cancer research, geoengineering, data analytics, surveillance studies, art conservation, and mental health research. Our students, staff, and faculty bring together diverse perspectives and a wealth of experiences that enrich our campus, empowering the university community toward shared success.
Queen’s invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is strongly committed to employment equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace and encourages applications from Black, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal people, women, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.
Relocation: Relocation assistance available.
About Kingston, ON:
Situated on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and the Anishinabek, Kingston is approximately a two-hour drive from Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, where the St. Lawrence River meets Lake Ontario and the Rideau Canal. Kingston is a stunning, historic city that consistently ranks as one of the best places to live in Canada.
Kingston’s 120,000 community-minded citizens enjoy an outstanding quality-of-life enhanced by superb intellectual, recreational and creative opportunities, and supported by excellent health care facilities and municipal services, programs and facilities.
Reporting to the Manager, Academic Compensation and Special Projects, the Academic Compensation Specialist participates in the planning, development and implementation of new and existing academic compensation initiatives. The incumbent will research and interpret academic compensation trends and practices, used to administer faculty appointment and compensation systems. The Academic Compensation Specialist will develop and maintain academic compensation programs and materials, and act as a resource, liaison and communicator providing compensation expertise.
- Participate in determining the strategic direction and planning of academic compensation practices for the University; lead the implementation of new compensation initiatives.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis on compensation and related academic programs and policies including in-depth analysis of academic compensation models, market data; gap analysis; identify academic trends and assess impact on the University’s policies and programs; conduct research and surveys as needed; make recommendations based on analysis and costing implications; prepare reports and presentations. Responsible for keeping up-to-date and/or improving documentation of academic compensation processes.
- Administer the academic salary and performance assessment systems consistently and equitably. Consult with, advise and lead Faculty administrators. Discuss, advise, and suggest appropriate modifications, interpret policy and collective agreements in order to support the academic appointment process.
- Maintain, update and ensure the accuracy and integrity of data contained within University information systems and within specialized academic compensation programs, databases and files.
- Monitor and guide appointments excluded from union membership, with particular emphasis on temporary senior academic executives leaving and returning to the faculty bargaining unit.
- Assume project leadership role as designated by the Associate Vice-Principal (Faculty Relations). Projects may have implications for the department and/or University. Lead annual projects (e.g., external reporting, surveys, salary increase programs) coordinating roles and responsibilities with the Academic Compensation Analyst.
- Provide general support to University in collective bargaining and relating to grievances and other disputes. Build and maintain internal and external compensation contacts, including participation in the Ontario Council of Academic Vice-Presidents Data Exchange (OCAV-DE).
- Act as a key resource person, liaison and communicator; provide guidance and assistance to stakeholders across the University, including Deans, Faculty office staff, HR Managers and Payroll on a broad range of academic compensation related issues. Develop and maintain communication programs and materials.
- Undertake other duties or special projects as required in support of the Office of the Provost and Vice Principal (Academic) and other University initiatives.
- Ensure appropriate individuals are informed of key business concerns and decisions. Determine how to advise and what recommendations to make to administrators and/or staff regarding sensitive academic appointment data and other compensation related matters.
- Participate in the determination of goals and objectives for the Academic Compensation unit within the Faculty Relations Office.
- Decide most appropriate time to involve others in resolution of complex issues, and more importantly mitigate risks by identifying potential problems and providing proactive solutions.
- Determine hiring salaries and other salary adjustments.
- Decisions as required in project team coordination (e.g., resources required, workload, priorities, and human resource management decisions).
- Decisions as required in the implementation of multiple annual academic salary review programs.
- Decisions required for the development and implementation of new compensation and collective bargaining initiatives.
Education and Experience:
- University degree in business administration with an emphasis on data analysis, information technology and process management.
- HR or related certification, such as CHRP, CMS CPA or CMA is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated solid understanding of compensation, payroll and labour relations practices.
- Five years (5) of progressively responsible working experience in administration in both unionized and non-unionized environments.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable legislation (Employment Standards Act, Pay Equity etc.) Knowledge and experience in costing, statistical analysis and business analysis is considered a strong asset.
- Proven track record in a leadership/project management capacity in a university or comparable workplace setting.
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Respects diversity and promotes inclusion in the workplace.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to deal with a diverse client base (e.g., Senior administrators, Deans, Department Heads, employees, union representatives, external agencies and individual faculty members). Due to the nature of job responsibilities, this position requires a high degree of sensitivity and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated analytical investigative, research, interpretative and problems-solving skills to support on-going programs and to assist with the development of strategic directions.
- Advanced knowledge of statistical, spreadsheet, internet and word processing software programs. Knowledge of university information systems would be helpful.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in order to draft and present proposals, reports/findings and develop efficient processes.
- Proven organizational, planning and project leadership skills to coordinate a wide range of responsibilities. Must be able to make the right decisions with respect to balancing diversity of responsibilities and conflicting deadlines with constant interruptions.
- Excellent judgment and discretion when providing input and direction involving the interpretation of University policies, procedures and Collective Agreement language.
To apply, please send a resume to Aman Sodi at [email protected]
The University will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please contact Aman Sodi at [email protected].
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Academic Compensation Specialist